SUCKER FOR SUPPER: MINGGU CAFE, PARATHA TOASTED SANDWICHES




A
s someone wise once sang, or at least I imagined he sang – I got that suppertime, suppertime sadness. I find myself feeling that way, albeit not exactly with that tune in my head, but more so than not when I find myself wanting company of friendly faces and guilty pleasures I want in my mouth. The latter being food.


I wrote not too long ago on the allure of cheap and tasty food at odd hours in a piece right HERE and Minggu Café run by Mr. Minggu is no exception.

Charming is the way I’d put this stall, as it neither is a café nor does it run throughout the “minggu” (Minggu is week or 7 days in the Malaysian language). What it is good for, is an interesting take on frozen paratha and sinful filling. Oh yes, frozen.  

Throw your perception of “authentic” Indian food out of the window, as this simple guilty pleasure is something of an Indian meets Grilled Cheese kind of meal. “Tasty food is tasty” is a phrase I’d use to shield myself as I imagine you foodies out there rolling your eyes at how I can willingly put such inauthenticity in my mouth. That is the thing about Minggu Café though, as authenticity is not something it promotes. What you see is what you get.


The most common and sought after items in his menu are what we will be talking about today. What Minggu does mostly with what you order is toast two parathas and once adding the filling (usually with cheese); he sandwiches and covers them under a lid to allow the filling to heat up. This process is very much likened to that Grilled Cheese experience I talked about.


With whatever filling you choose to have, the paratha skin will be as you imagined. It’s thin and lightly crisp, while being soft on the inside and as you get into the filling, what you will find is gooey cheese. For those wondering, yes it is sliced cheese and not cheddar so you will be missing the sharp saltiness that cheddar brings.



One of the things I did try was the Kaya and Cheese Paratha. If you are wondering if it tastes strange, then yes. I have to admit it does taste strange as the gooey slightly salty cheese and sweet kaya does not blend as well as Minggu recommended. What is recommended when available is Kaya and Bananas as the classic pairing always makes for a good combination.


Finally, the Mushroom and Cheese Paratha is a good pairing with the rich and smokey flavours of julienned mushrooms complimenting the slightly savoury cheese. Once hot, what you have is gooey cheese and mushrooms sandwiched together by thin crispy and yet chewy parathas that makes a rather interesting take on a Grilled Cheese Sandwich.


Places to go in Kuching during the supper hour can be scarce, but if you’re into weird food and cheese paratha sandwiches that can be sliced into pizza shaped bites to be shared with friends, then you may just be in for a treat.

Minggu Café is opened daily except on Mondays from 6am to 3pm and 5:30pm to 11pm. It is found in Lorong 10A of Sungai Matang Kanan  in the map or opposite E-Mart Batu Kawa.

This entry was posted on Wednesday 27 May 2015 and is filed under , , , , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 . You can leave a response .

Leave a Reply