CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF ALI MEATBALL


If you’ve clicked this post to see what I think of the meatballs from Ali Meatball in comparison to IKEA meatballs, you’re going to be disappointed. I’ve never been to IKEA and I’ve never tried those famed meatballs. So now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, I’ll simply be comparing this stalls meatball, to what a good meatball should be.

So what should a good meatball be? We’ll get to that in a minute or two.


Ali Meatball, a stall in Jalan Muhibah, to their own credit, is doing their part to quench the appetite of those who haven’t had the pleasure of trying meatballs in West Malaysia. Meatballs are apparently all the rage there since IKEA came in. For the most part, its location though remote has garnered a buzz for quite a while now. After being covered by Utusan Borneo and Utusan Sarawak, I just had to see what it was all about.


Their stall is located by a house which belongs to Abang Zhai, the owner of Ali Meatball. Yes, I’m as surprised as you are that his name wasn’t Ali. Zhai was inspired to open a meatball stall from seeing how popular it can be when done right like in West Malaysia. His background in the Food and Beverage industry was also what gave him that courage to do what he’s doing now.

If you guessed it, I tried the meatballs. Different variations of it to be honest, so let’s get cracking! You could try their set menu of Nacho Cheese, Meatballs and a drink for RM15 and Cheese Meatballs for RM14.


If anything, for what you pay, there are quite a number of balls. It’s just too bad that they are as “meh” as they look. The balls were not browned from a skillet which explains the dull consistent grey colour as they were deep fried. I don’t have a big problem with meatballs swimming in sauce, but the black pepper sauce that the balls were swimming in lacked any real flavour. What it did taste like was a combination of bottled black pepper sauce, sugar and some added parsley herbs.

The meatballs that I tasted were bland and overworked. It’s a rule of thumb that meatballs need to be seasoned. Period. That’s all I had to say about that, while the meatballs suffered from being overworked.



What I mean by overworked is when meat is mixed excessively to the point where it becomes pasty and tough. Instead, when mixed properly, the balls should have visible pieces of ground meat while not crumbling apart when put under the pressure of a fork.

Abang Zhai mentioned that he contracts someone to provide the meatballs for him, which is quite a shame. It is a shame because products that are not home-made will definitely not be given that special attention to detail to provide the product that you most desire for you and your patrons.



The Cheese Meatballs additionally were similar to the Black Pepper meatballs, with the added bonus of cheese. In terms of the cheese, it is quite clear from its stringiness that Mozzarella was used but from the taste of it, it seems that it was all that was used. 




Commercial Mozzarella can be bland which is why most recipes call for a mixture of a sharper sometimes sour cheese when mixed with Mozzarella. It is done so to cut through the richness of meatballs. Even if there was a mixture here, I can’t say that I have tasted it.



Aside from the meatballs, Nacho Cheese named Nacho’s Nachos served at RM7 is also part of what they offer here. Put simply, it is a plate of Nachos lying under what looks like bolognaise sauce topped with cheese. The sauce lacked any real flavour other than its sweetness while once again, the cheese proved to do nothing other than be stringy.

If anything, I wouldn’t say I’m dissatisfied. Rather, I’d use the word disappointed. I’m disappointed as this would have been a good opportunity for dishes like these to be more accessible to the Kuching public. It must be said that the staff is a group of friendly and honest guys but it’s a shame that with a little more work and attention to detail, this shop would be buzzing more than it already is right now. I don’t know when I’ll come back but I hope that when I do, I hope to find a better value for my Ringgit.

If ya’ll reading have recommendations for places to try remedy my meatball cravings, do leave a comment in the blog!

Ali Meatball is opened according to their Facebook Page at 2:00pm to 8:30pm.

Their location can be found below.


This entry was posted on Tuesday 24 February 2015 and is filed under , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 . You can leave a response .

2 Responses to “ CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF ALI MEATBALL ”

  1. i rather liked those amazeballs tho hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mina!
      Did you mean these balls? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazeballs/1460355084217214
      If you're referring to the balls I just reviewed, to each his/her own I suppose. Hehe.

      Hilary

      Delete